But it didn't pay too well
I had to strip on the side
Of the road to get ready for shows
And the cars driving by
Baby they'd never know "
(afp)
*
Dear world, dear Vienna,
I made a habit of leaving the city, of leaving the state on the day that I turn older, and to pretend it was not happening, that getting older would pass without leaving traces.
That is why I never made any big parties on the occasion.
Last year I spent that day in Berlin in a crazy good free jazz impro thing in Ausland and on the day after at a living room concert and the night after without sleep, the year before in Porto (while technically I had been there for longer), we were sewing costumes all day and I was given an orchid as a present, the year before I had an accident: I was tied to Vienna like a package to its wrapping due to documents being due; and I only left for Portugal shortly after, the week before that I was in Norway, where we never even saw the northern lights.
That turned out to be quite the party actually. At first I thought about simply turning off my phone and lowering the blinds, but then I sent messages to a few friends and there was food in different tablewares und suddenly everything was full of people and good, really.
The year before I went to Budapest, one time before that to Prague, I was scared of turning 20 then, the year before Tokyo, maybe, I don't remember exactly.
This time I won't flee.
Plus: It's Friday and the 13th.
I want to play a living room concert.
At my place.
And not alone.
Come.
Play.
There is a guest room.
*
Liebe Welt, liebes Wien,
ich habe es mir ja zur Gewohnheit gemacht an dem Tag an dem ich älter werde die Stadt zu verlassen, das Land zu verlassen und so zu tun als würde das einfach nicht passieren, das Älter Werden, ohne Spuren zu hinterlassen, vorbeigehen.
Deshalb habe ich nie große Parties gemacht zu diesem Anlass.
Letztes Jahr war ich in Berlin auf einem wahnsinnig guten Konzert im Ausland und am Tag darauf bei einem Wohnzimmerkonzert und die Nacht darauf, nicht schlafen, das Jahr davor wiederum in Porto und wir haben den ganzen Tag Kostüme genäht und ich habe eine Orchidee bekommen, wobei ich da rein technisch gesehen schon länger war, das Mal davor ist mir ein Unfall passiert und ich war wegen abzugebenden Dokumenten an Wien gebunden wie ein Paket an seine Verpackung; und bin erst kurz darauf nach Portugal, davor war ich in Norwegen, wo wir nie die Nordlichter gesehen haben.
Da hat es eigentlich ein ganz feines Fest gegeben. Zuerst hatte ich überlegt einfach mein Handy auszuschalten und die Jalousien runterzuziehen, aber dann habe ich ein paar Leuten geschrieben und es gab Essen in unterschiedlichen Geschirren und plötzlich war alles voller Menschen und gut, eigentlich.
Das Jahr davor war ich in Budapest, einmal in Prag, vor dem 20 Werden habe ich mich so gefürchtet, das Jahr davor in Tokyo oder so, ich weiß es gar nicht mehr genau.
Dieses Jahr flüchte ich nicht.
Es ist außerdem Freitag und ein Dreizehnter.
Ich möchte ein Wohnungskonzert spielen.
Bei mir zu Hause.
Und nicht alleine.
Kommen Sie.
Spielen Sie.
Es gibt ein Gästezimmer.
So if I want to drink alone dressed like a pirate
Or look like a dyke
Or wear high heels and lipstick
Or hide in a convent
Or try to be mayor
Or marry a writer
Smoke crack and slash tires
Make jokes you don't like
Or paint ducks and retire
You can bet your black ass that I'm going to
I had to strip on the side
Of the road to get ready for shows
And the cars driving by
Baby they'd never know "
(afp)
*
Dear world, dear Vienna,
I made a habit of leaving the city, of leaving the state on the day that I turn older, and to pretend it was not happening, that getting older would pass without leaving traces.
That is why I never made any big parties on the occasion.
Last year I spent that day in Berlin in a crazy good free jazz impro thing in Ausland and on the day after at a living room concert and the night after without sleep, the year before in Porto (while technically I had been there for longer), we were sewing costumes all day and I was given an orchid as a present, the year before I had an accident: I was tied to Vienna like a package to its wrapping due to documents being due; and I only left for Portugal shortly after, the week before that I was in Norway, where we never even saw the northern lights.
That turned out to be quite the party actually. At first I thought about simply turning off my phone and lowering the blinds, but then I sent messages to a few friends and there was food in different tablewares und suddenly everything was full of people and good, really.
The year before I went to Budapest, one time before that to Prague, I was scared of turning 20 then, the year before Tokyo, maybe, I don't remember exactly.
This time I won't flee.
Plus: It's Friday and the 13th.
I want to play a living room concert.
At my place.
And not alone.
Come.
Play.
There is a guest room.
*
Liebe Welt, liebes Wien,
ich habe es mir ja zur Gewohnheit gemacht an dem Tag an dem ich älter werde die Stadt zu verlassen, das Land zu verlassen und so zu tun als würde das einfach nicht passieren, das Älter Werden, ohne Spuren zu hinterlassen, vorbeigehen.
Deshalb habe ich nie große Parties gemacht zu diesem Anlass.
Letztes Jahr war ich in Berlin auf einem wahnsinnig guten Konzert im Ausland und am Tag darauf bei einem Wohnzimmerkonzert und die Nacht darauf, nicht schlafen, das Jahr davor wiederum in Porto und wir haben den ganzen Tag Kostüme genäht und ich habe eine Orchidee bekommen, wobei ich da rein technisch gesehen schon länger war, das Mal davor ist mir ein Unfall passiert und ich war wegen abzugebenden Dokumenten an Wien gebunden wie ein Paket an seine Verpackung; und bin erst kurz darauf nach Portugal, davor war ich in Norwegen, wo wir nie die Nordlichter gesehen haben.
Da hat es eigentlich ein ganz feines Fest gegeben. Zuerst hatte ich überlegt einfach mein Handy auszuschalten und die Jalousien runterzuziehen, aber dann habe ich ein paar Leuten geschrieben und es gab Essen in unterschiedlichen Geschirren und plötzlich war alles voller Menschen und gut, eigentlich.
Das Jahr davor war ich in Budapest, einmal in Prag, vor dem 20 Werden habe ich mich so gefürchtet, das Jahr davor in Tokyo oder so, ich weiß es gar nicht mehr genau.
Dieses Jahr flüchte ich nicht.
Es ist außerdem Freitag und ein Dreizehnter.
Ich möchte ein Wohnungskonzert spielen.
Bei mir zu Hause.
Und nicht alleine.
Kommen Sie.
Spielen Sie.
Es gibt ein Gästezimmer.
So if I want to drink alone dressed like a pirate
Or look like a dyke
Or wear high heels and lipstick
Or hide in a convent
Or try to be mayor
Or marry a writer
Smoke crack and slash tires
Make jokes you don't like
Or paint ducks and retire
You can bet your black ass that I'm going to